Why is inclusion important? It's the way in which all people experience their right to full participation and have the opportunity to make their contributions as citizens. Through participation and inclusion all people have value.
Community Living Ontario is proud of the work we’ve done to further inclusion. Over the past ten years we have focused on:
- building inclusive school cultures
- building inclusive communities
- creating inclusive organizations
We have developed these resources:
- An Inclusive School Culture - Indicators of Success – the purpose of Inclusive School Culture is to motivate school communities to promote, create, and sustain inclusive environments. It is designed to help all stake holders including students, educators, parents and guardians, support staff and administrators to feel they belong to and fully participate in the life of the school.
- Engaging People in Building Inclusive Communities: A Planning Guide – this book designed to help community leaders develop a plan to nurture a more inclusive mindset and behaviour in their towns, cities or neighbourhoods. It is targeted to all those who might feel excluded because of abilities, race, culture, circumstances, gender or sexual orientation.
- A Focus on Inclusion for Organizations Supporting People with an Intellectual Disability - the intent of this tool is to encourage and help those organizations supporting people who have an intellectual disability to build a culture, policies, systems and practices that lead to inclusion within the organizations and in the community. It identifies the critical success factors that must be in place within the organization in order to be inclusive and build inclusive communities.
This work has been part of the national Community Inclusion Project which is funded through the federal Department of Social Development. Each province and territory across Canada have identified priority areas and developed strategies to advance the inclusion of people into their communities.
In Ontario, over 85 local community projects have been supported to further inclusion of citizens. To learn more about these local community initiatives, visit the Inclusion Projects section of national website http://www.communityinclusion.ca/. You will also find many publications which were created as a result of this initiative.